Just the Facts
Here's the Picaboo blueprint:
- Downloadable software for Mac and PC
- Several design methods, all allowing customization
- A wide variety of sizes, styles, templates and fonts
- Range of help available, including help pages, live chat, email and phone
- Simple photo edits enabled
- Products shareable by email and by posting to Facebook
An innovative company that has only been around since 2006, Picaboo is a photo book company with a difference. Most photo book companies require that you work online, but Picaboo allows you to download the company's software to your computer. Once the program is installed, you'll be able to work offline, which is a plus for some. Among other advantages, it means that you'll be able to select photos from your computer's hard drive without uploading them. Picaboo's range of choices is comparable to systems in which you create books online, such as Shutterfly, and better than some downloadable programs, such as MyPublisher.
- Easy, mostly intuitive designware that's easy to navigate
- High quality photo reproduction
- Price comparable to others, with frequent discounts
Because Picaboo allows you to edit and manipulate photos within the program, you can download photos straight from your camera and make a great photo book without having to use a photo editing program first. Picaboo lets you adjust the color saturation, brightness and contrast and remove red-eye. You can also size photos and zoom in or out. You can turn a color photo into a black-and-white or sepia image, apply borders to your photos or create a shadow.
Here's what didn't win my heart:
- Software appears to be subject to hangs
- Standard shipping may require a week or more
You'll Be Hooked
Once you've made one photo book using Picaboo, you are likely to be hooked. You may find yourself taking pictures with your next photo book in mind. If you're not totally happy with the pictures you're taking of your grandchildren, read these hints for photographing grandchildren. Of course, you have fabulous models. Now if you could just get them to sit still for two minutes.