1. Parenting

Susan Adcox

What Grandparents Want to Say to Parents

By November 19, 2012

Most grandparents have heard of attachment parenting. A striking cover photo on Time magazine back in May introduced those of us still in the dark to the term. But what about other parenting styles, such as mindful parenting, slow parenting, simplicity parenting and green parenting? What about the movement toward bringing up free-range kids? Chances are that your children, the parents of your grandchildren, have been influenced by these movements even if they don't totally embrace them.

Yesterday I invited you to speculate on what parents might like to say to you about your grandparenting style. Today it's our turn. What would you like to say to your children and their spouses or partners about their parenting styles and parenting practices? Leave a comment below. You can use a pseudonym if you need to. I've already thought out my own comment, and I will add it if I get brave enough.

Follow me on Twitter | Visit me on Facebook

Comments
November 19, 2012 at 10:50 am
(1) Robin Dorko says:

Please have patience with me. I’m really tying not to irritate or criticize you. I love you. I’m learning grandparenting as you learn parenting!

November 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm
(2) Grandma Kc says:

I must preface my comment with this statement: I think my daughter and her husband are AWESOME parents! I love how involved they are in her life and what great examples they set. BUT if I could tell them one thing to try and improve upon it would be patience. Sometimes I think they are to short fused with her — but then — I don’t live with her everyday.

November 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm
(3) Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs says:

Like Kc, I need to preface my comment with kudos for my daughter and son-in-law on the awesome parents they are. BUT, I do see a love for money creeping in, maybe because they’re far better off than many folks at this point (and trillions of times better off than my husband and I were at their age). Too much time at work, too much emphasis on buy-buy-buy, and too much accumulating of the latest and greatest for themselves and their kids—especially without showing gratitude for the unique position their in—has me concerned about what’s to come.
(Gah! So grateful they don’t visit this site!)

November 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm
(4) Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs says:

Ummm…that should say THEY’RE in. That’s what I get for typing too fast, not editing before posting. :-D

November 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(5) Susie says:

My children have very child-centered parenting styles, and that’s good, for the most part. But once in a while they should put themselves first, I think, and just say no to the kids.

November 27, 2012 at 9:22 am
(6) jwlun says:

I would like to say “all of the above”
My grandchildren seem to be happy, well adjusted, loving, little people. That is a testament to how well they are loved.
The things that irk the living daylights out of me are probably the inability to set priorities in discipline and values.
We cannot teach this child that “stuff doesn’t matter” if you buy him new stuff every time you see it.
Time with the children matters. I know that you know this because you tell me that this is what you value about the way you were raised and yet things seem to be substituted for time spent.
So many more examples that ultimately come down to shed the hypocrisy and go wtth your core beliefs.
You know best, my loving children, now put it into practice.