From the article: Introduce the Grandchildren to Folk Songs for Children
Music is said to be the universal language, and it certainly brings the generations together. What's your favorite tune to sing with grandchildren? Share a title or two, and tell us why. Share Your Pick
You Are My Sunshine
- I've sung this song to my grandbaby since she was born. Now she is two, and she will all of a sudden sing it to me out of nowhere. When she is upset, I sing it to her, and it soothes her. She knows that's her special song.
- —Guest Grandma
"Too Good to Be True" by Frankie Valli
- When my granddaughter was born, I wanted a song I would sing to her all her life and hopefully her grandfather and I would dance with her at her wedding one day. She is almost two now and sings it with me. It's an old song by Frankie Valli, but the words are perfect. I changed a few words to fit. She asks her mom to play it all the time in the car.
- —Guest Bonnie
"I Love You a Bushel and a Peck"
- When my first grandson was born I would sing the tune softly in his ear. Now we shout it out even when we're out on the playground. You should see some of the looks we get (:-)
- —Guest Favorite Tunes
My theme song
- This isn't really a traditional song, but the song I last sang with my grandson was "Leavin' On A Jet Plane" as we headed to the airport for me to return home. Another one, that I consider my grandson's song, is "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor, substituting Sweet Brayden James for the lyrics as that's my grandson's name. I made him a CD of it the first week he was born.
- —Guest Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs
"I've Been Working on the Railroad"
- This is a song we would sing on family trips when I was a young girl. I sang it to my children, and now I'm singing it to my grands.
Grandchildren Sing Alongs
- "Old Top Of Old Smoky," "Row, Row Your Boat," "Jesus Loves Me," "If I Had A Hammer"-- these are just a few of our favorites to sing.
- —Guest Janet
Grand Sing Along
- Thanks for reminding me of an old favorite. I learned Red River Valley from my first piano book.