You've had your memory jogged about ten old-fashioned jump rope chants. Do your versions of these classics match up with ours? What old favorites did I forget?
House for Rent, House for Sale
- One favorite:
House for rent, a house for sale.
As Janey moves out, Johnny moves in.
(Janey jumps out on "out." Rope turns once, and Johnny jumps in on "in."
- —Guest Nancy
Strawberry Shortcake Variation
- We had a different version of Strawberry Shortcake:
Strawberry shortcake, cherry on top. Tell me the name of your sweet-heart, is it A...B...C...D...
New Jersey Version of Down by the River
- Down by the river where the green grass grows
There sat ---- as sweet as a rose. Along came ----- and kissed her on her nose. How many kisses did she get? 1,2,3...etc
- —Guest Lynno
Blondie and Dagwood
- Blondie and Dagwood
an evening gown
a pair of shoes
the Evening News.........
- —Guest Nancy Mercil
- 17 robbers came in my room, Stole my money and went with a zoom. I stood by the bay and heard a man say, Hey how many dollars did you steal today? 1,2,3...
- —Guest kristel
Old Man Ned
- Old Man Ned fell out the bed and broke his head on a piece of corn bread. Corn bread ruff biscuits tough, ask that man if he ever had enough.
- —Guest W Hatton
1 more clap song
- Red white and blue, a boy kissed you ( point to one friend--they jump in) took you to the movies ( and married you).
- —Guest Rachel
- School, School, don't be late. Sign your name on the golden gate. J-A-C-K-I-E. Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade, 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, 12th grade, college, marriage, kids, seniors, dead. Up, down, up, down, up.....
- —Guest Jackie
Red Rover Red Rover
- the two kids turning the rope , would call red rover, red rover ,let Bobbie come over , and Bobbie would try to run in and jump rope while the other two kids were already turning the rope, and jump while they counted , and see how long she could jump. Some times they would speed up to see if you could keep up.
Remember This One...
- Fudge, fudge, call the judge
Mama's got a newborn baby
It ain't a girl, it ain't a boy - just an
Wrap it up in tissue paper, send it down the elevator...first floor miss
Second floor miss. Third floor, kick it out the door, Mama don't want that baby no more!
- —Guest Kerry
Not Last Night
- Not last night but the night before
24 robbers came knockin at the door.
I ran out and they ran in
They ran in and I ran out
How many minutes did I shout?