From the article: Old-Fashioned Jump Rope Rhymes
You've had your memory jogged about ten old-fashioned jump rope chants. Do your versions of these classics match up with ours? What old favorites did I forget? Share Your Memories
Jump Rope Song
- A sailor went to sea, sea, sea To see what he could see, see, see. But all that he could see, see, see Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea. First he went to London. Then he went to France. Then he went to Hitler's house, and kicked him in the pants!
Pantyhose Wall Ball Game
- I loved that game! This is what I remember: Hello, hello, hello Sir! Are you coming out, Sir? Yes, Sir. No, Sir. Whatcha doing now, Sir? High, Sir. Low Sir. Gonna catch a cold, Sir. Yes, Sir. No, Sir. Then you're gonna die, Sir! (I hope that helps. I can't remember the rest!)
- —Guest yvette dagenais
- Ice cream, ice cream, cherry on top. How many boyfriends do you got? (1, 2, 3 until you mess up)
- —Guest Katherine
- Strawberry shortcake, huckleberry pie. Who's gonna be your lucky guy? A B C D ... (Till you mess up!)
- —Guest jenny
Sally in a Saucer
- Sally in a saucer cried for her supper, rise Sally rise, dry your weary eyes. Turn to the east & turn to the west turn to the one you really love the very best .
- —Guest Margaret Heidlebaugh
Remember Pantyhose Wall Ball Game?
- Does anyone remember a game where you put a rubber ball (I remember a red, blue & white ball) in one leg of pantyhose or a stocking, and stood with your back against school wall? There was a rhyme that you chanted as you bounced the stockinged ball off the wall in a series of movements over your head, between your legs, under your arms, etc. I think it sped up faster and faster. I can't remember the chant but it went something like, "something, something, eh-oh, whatcha doin' now sir, high sir, low sir, blah, blah, blah, blah eh-sir. . ." I so wish I could remember the chant and the movements. I spent many recesses running through that game and loving the chant. Can anyone help me remember??
Not Last Night
- Not last night but the night before 24 robbers came a knockin at my door. As I ran out...they ran in (you run out around and come back in) I hit them over the head with a rollinpin...asked them what they wanted and this is what they said Lady oh lady turn around turn around..lady oh lady touch the ground touch the ground lady oh lady show your shoe show your shoe lady oh lady that will do that will do..... Of course you do everything they ask you.
- —Guest Tina
Remember This One?
- It began: "Fudge, fudge, fudge (boom, boom, boom). Calling on the judge (boom, boom, boom)." It ended: "Wrap it up in toilet paper, kick it down the elevator."
- —Guest angelmycat
Blondie and Dagwood
- Blondie and Dagwood went downtown Blondie bought an evening gown Dagwood bought a pair of shoes Cookie bought the Evening News.........
- —Guest Nancy Mercil
- 17 robbers came in my room, Stole my money and went with a zoom. I stood by the bay and heard a man say, Hey how many dollars did you steal today? 1,2,3...
- —Guest kristel
Old Man Ned
- Old Man Ned fell out the bed and broke his head on a piece of corn bread. Corn bread ruff biscuits tough, ask that man if he ever had enough.
- —Guest W Hatton
1 more clap song
- Red white and blue, a boy kissed you ( point to one friend--they jump in) took you to the movies ( and married you).
- —Guest Rachel
- School, School, don't be late. Sign your name on the golden gate. J-A-C-K-I-E. Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade, 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, 12th grade, college, marriage, kids, seniors, dead. Up, down, up, down, up.....
- —Guest Jackie
Red Rover Red Rover
- the two kids turning the rope , would call red rover, red rover ,let Bobbie come over , and Bobbie would try to run in and jump rope while the other two kids were already turning the rope, and jump while they counted , and see how long she could jump. Some times they would speed up to see if you could keep up.
Remember This One...
- Fudge, fudge, call the judge Mama's got a newborn baby It ain't a girl, it ain't a boy - just an ordinary baby. Wrap it up in tissue paper, send it down the elevator...first floor miss Second floor miss. Third floor, kick it out the door, Mama don't want that baby no more!
- —Guest Kerry
Not Last Night
- Not last night but the night before 24 robbers came knockin at the door. I ran out and they ran in They ran in and I ran out How many minutes did I shout? (Hot pepper!)