The Bottom Line
Clever, cute and heartwarming, this book for Jewish children sings the praises of Jewish grandparents, those bubbes and saydes, those sabas and savtas, who bless the lives of their grandchildren. The two-books-in-one format makes it possible for both grandmas and grandpas to be lauded in a single book. Jewish children will enjoy the use of animal characters to represent the grandparents, as well as the light-hearted references to Jewish traditions and observances.
- Appealing animal characters
- Whimsical text
- Fun way to reinforce Jewish traditions
- Pronunciation of the Hebrew and Yiddish terms would have been nice.
- Written by Andria Warmflash Rosenbaum
- Illustrated by Barb Bjornson
- Hardcover, ISBN-13: 978-1-58013-167-4
- Also available in paperback, ISBN: 978-1-58013-168-1
- 32 pages
- A Sydney Taylor Book Award Notable Book
- Cited by the Jewish Book Council as an outstanding children's book
- Published by Kar-Ben Publishing Company
Guide Review - A Grandma Like Yours/A Grandpa Like Yours: A Book for Jewish Children
Dancing the horah, preparing challah, lighting a menorah, supervising grandchildren spinning a dreidel--the animal grandmothers in this delightful book make Jewish traditions look like a lot of fun. The grandfathers aren't neglected, either. When grandchildren flip the book, they will discover grandfathers blowing shofar and planting trees on Tu B'Shevat, the Jewish Arbor Day. I especially like the ingeniously designed centerpiece of the book, which serves as an ending for both stories. Although this is clearly a book for Jewish children, it would be a good way to introduce all children to Jewish tradition. A short glossary at the front of the book explains any terms that might be unfamiliar.
Disclosure: A review copy was provided by the publisher. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy