The French-Canadian name for grandmother is mémé. Mémère is another French-Canadian term for a granny or grandma. In some instances, mémère has a slightly derogatory tone, much like "old lady." In Quebec the term can be used to refer to a nosy person or a gossip. Mamie is another word sometimes used for a grandmother by French-Canadians. Même is a different word having several meanings and usages.
More pages to visit:
- French-Canadian name for grandfather
- Ethnic names for grandmothers
- Ethnic names for grandfathers
- Comprehensive list of grandmother names
- Comprehensive list of grandfather names