1. Parenting

Susan Adcox

Grand Photo of the Week: Those Who Wander

By January 30, 2013

Young women enjoying foreign travel abroad.

"Not all those who wander are lost," according to J. R. R. Tolkien and according to my oldest granddaughter, who has about as bad a case of wanderlust as I've ever seen. Sometimes she travels with grandparents, but mostly she's off with her peers, leaving her Grannie and Grandpa home to worry. I try to cope by remembering something that Helen Keller said: "Life is either a grand adventure, or it is nothing at all."

Photo M. Cevallos

Follow me on Twitter | Visit me on Facebook

More Featured Photos on About.com

Comments
January 30, 2013 at 11:51 am
(1) phylameana says:

Great quote! My nephew just returned home from a 3 week adventure in Indonesia a couple weeks ago.. My mother (his grandmother) was greatly relieved when he was back at college. I’ve had similar experience as a mother when my college age children travel abroad. It is too early for me to know how I will feel/deal as a grandmother with my grandkids traveling since they are still tots. Thinking I’ll just let their parents do the worrying…. I’ll find out how that works for me!

January 30, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(2) Kerry says:

Love the photo!

January 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(3) Nancy says:

My children would agree with Tolkien (they’re huge fans, anyway), and I think they would tell you that some of their best travel experiences have been unplanned, off-the-beaten-path adventures.

We all worry about the beloved children in our lives, it’s true, and I think they know that and exercise a little more caution because of our concern for them.

January 30, 2013 at 3:45 pm
(4) Donna Pilato says:

It starts when we worry about them getting lost on the playground. Then, we worry about what happens at the mall. Worrying about their safety while traveling is just another step in that lifetime of worry I guess! But I agree with Nancy that if they know we worry, they’ll be a little more cautious.

January 30, 2013 at 5:54 pm
(5) b+ says:

The beauty of having children or grandchildren that travel is the vicarious experience. Your quotes were perfect…I think life should be a grand adventure and being lost can be more fun than being found.

Thank you for this.

b+

January 30, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(6) imaddy says:

We never stop worrying about our children, no matter how old they are. But we need to let them adventure out. Great quotes. Happy WW.

January 30, 2013 at 11:05 pm
(7) NSGill says:

It’s a lovely photo for the four young ladies to have to augment their memory of their friendship.

February 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm
(8) Grandma Kc says:

Love the picture! May they have wonderful (and safe) adventures!