1. Parenting

Susan Adcox

Grand Photo of the Week: O, Christmas Tree

By November 28, 2012

Child with Christmas tree lights

In our family, the most magical rituals center around the Christmas tree. That's probably because children love Christmas trees. I remember when my oldest daughter was three. We had a real tree that year. When she woke from her nap one day after Christmas and found the tree undecorated and lying by the curb, she cried as if she had lost a beloved friend.

Do you have a sweet or funny Christmas tree story? Leave a comment below.

Photo L. Brazzil

Follow me on Twitter | Visit me on Facebook

More Featured Photos on About.com

Comments
November 28, 2012 at 12:31 pm
(1) Jana says:

That I the cutest baby ever!!!

November 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm
(2) Phylameana Desy says:

Oh Christmas Tree…. you remind me of so many memories. I don’t think I have a favorite. Perhaps the year that our artificial tree was on its last leg and we could not afford to get a different tree. We were superglueing the branches together the best we could. It was a pathetic looking tree when all was finally decorated…. but the kids and I had a blast trying to pull it altogether. We were scraping by financially. But that year, decorating the tree was family moment of a single mom bonding with her young kids during a time of struggle, but the day was full of good cheer and richness.

November 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(3) Newlyweds Guide Francesca says:

That photo is adorable. And I love the story about your daughter. How sweet! I’ve been worried about putting up a tree this year – ours is always real as I come from a family of landscapers, who get the trees for us all. My son is one, and he grabs and pulls everything. I worry he will pull the tree on himself. But my family insists that he must have a tree or it won’t be Christmas. We’ll see what happens. It is true that it won’t feel like Christmas without the tree.

November 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(4) Donna says:

What a sweet photo! My most memorable tree story is a good lesson for all. We woke up one morning to discover that our tree had fallen over during the night. Sadly we lost several of the more breakable ornaments. But ever since then we’ve used a sturdier stand and we anchor the tree to the wall with a thin piece of fishing line attached to a small hook. Now, despite 2 kids and four cats our tree still stands!

November 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(5) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

While walking one day I came across a pine tree with branches sweeping low creating a cozy inviting hollow space beneath the tree. It came to me our ancient ancestors may have lived beneath trees in such hollows. We make our houses from lumber of trees and like to bring a bit of the greenery in now and then to cheer us and satisfy our inherent primitive memories/instincts.

November 28, 2012 at 6:50 pm
(6) Nancy says:

We’ve always had cats, so we have an elaborate system of bungee cords that we use to anchor our small Christmas tree to our corner table (we protect the table with cardboard squares saved from wall calendar packaging). We’ve been lucky (?) that our cats don’t like to climb the full-size tree…but they do like to eat it. One cat likes live tree needles and the other likes to eat the “needles” from artificial trees. We can’t win.

November 28, 2012 at 7:19 pm
(7) NSGill says:

Cute baby and tree.

November 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm
(8) Grandma Kc says:

What a wonderful photo!! I have wonderful Christmas tree memories. When I was a little girl we lived on a 50 acre farm in Michigan and a large part of it was pine trees. My Dad would cut and sell them at Christmas every year. One of the best parts was going with him to cut trees and hiding under them in the trailer where Mom couldn’t possibly find us or hear us giggling!

December 3, 2012 at 10:54 pm
(9) Indrani says:

Love the mood in this. Great shot!