1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Susan Adcox

Grand Photo of the Week: Courage

By November 14, 2012

Toddlers and slides are a natural combo, but it takes courage to conquer the slide the first time.

Conquering a slide can be quite a milestone for a little one. Can you imagine how high and scary a slide looks to a toddler? My grands have been masters of the playground for quite a while, but they still have need of courage in their everyday lives. One of my granddaughters recently sang a duet in front of a huge audience; a grandson played in his first orchestra concert. Those events take courage, as does simply standing up for what is right. Grandparents may be past playground hijinks and stage antics, but we can be powerful role models just the same, if we live our lives with integrity.

What displays of courage have you witnessed recently?

Photo J. S. M.

Follow me on Twitter | Visit me on Facebook

More Featured Photos on About.com

Comments
November 14, 2012 at 6:30 am
(1) Indrani says:

Yes, from a child’s perspective it is scary. Great picture to convey the thought.

November 14, 2012 at 9:00 am
(2) NSGill says:

Interesting thought. From my warped perspective, some virtues, like courage, seem to have almsot fallen by the wayside, while others, like tolerance, that wouldn’t have had a big place in my ancient world, have become more imoortant. At any rate, I would try to model patience and tolerance, but would fail miserably at courage.

November 14, 2012 at 9:27 am
(3) Kerry says:

There is courage all around us that is inspirational.

November 14, 2012 at 10:02 am
(4) phylameana says:

Love the image and the “role model” message.

November 14, 2012 at 11:41 am
(5) imaddy says:

Great picture. Your grand kids are very courageous.

November 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm
(6) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

My grandchildren seem fearless and area continually testing limits. I admire that undaunted spirit which views every incident as a merely trial to be overcome.

November 14, 2012 at 1:55 pm
(7) Newlyweds Guide Francesca says:

Right on! Being a parent – and I imagine a grandparent – certainly does inspire you to be the best person you can be. It is wonderful to serve as a role model. Thanks for the lovely reminder.

November 15, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(8) Grandma Kc says:

Wonderful picture and message. I don’t know if I would call it courage or whether it is self-confidence or bravery — but I’ve noticed a change in Amara since she started Tae Kwon Do. She is much stronger because of it.

November 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm
(9) Robin Dorko says:

Beautiful observation, Susan! Indeed, children show courage/recklessness every day! I just keep praying.