1. Parenting

Susan Adcox

Grand Photo of the Week: Hurry Up and Wait

By November 7, 2012

Coloring

Crayons and coloring books may not be as popular as they once were, but they are still handy for occupying wait time, and most restaurants supply them in case you forgot to bring some along. Phone apps and kid-friendly websites that can be accessed via electronic device are also popular, but with them, you don't get a masterpiece to go on the fridge.

What's your best tip for handling wait time?

Photo by Susan Adcox

Follow me on Twitter | Visit me on Facebook

More Featured Photos on About.com

Comments
July 29, 2009 at 9:44 am
(1) Grandma K says:

Shhhhh!! Don’t tell my oldest granddaughter that coloring books and crayons aren’t as popular as they were.

July 29, 2009 at 10:54 am
(2) Phylameana says:

Crayons have been upgraded to watercolor markers.

July 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm
(3) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

I bought a super size box of 80 some Crayolas a few years ago, Ditto colored chalk and markers. My kids were a bit too old, but my granddaughter will be just the right size before too long :)

July 29, 2009 at 1:00 pm
(4) Lisa Taylor says:

I loved coloring books. If there’s nothing avail. the restaurant, we’ve always drawn pictures on the back of the placemat with the few crayons they provide us…the cool places have paper tablecloths that encourage “graffitti.”
Who’s that cute little girl in the pic?

July 29, 2009 at 1:01 pm
(5) Suzanne says:

Crayons and coloring books can be lifesavers when you’re out and about with little ones!

July 29, 2009 at 3:07 pm
(6) NSGill says:

A long time ago I lent a book to someone I trusted. It was an Alexandra Stoddard PB with b&w illustrations that my stepdaughters had carefully and imaginatively colored in. I would love to have that book back.

July 29, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(7) Nancy says:

I love new crayons, fresh out of the box. When my children were little, I took plastic storage boxes of crayons and stacks of newsprint (bought by the ream!) to outings and restaurant meals.

July 29, 2009 at 9:17 pm
(8) grandparents says:

I love markers, crayons and pastels. I hate pencils and pens with blue ink! Lisa, the little cutie is one of my granddaughters.

November 7, 2012 at 11:58 am
(9) Newlyweds Guide Francesca says:

I agree. Crayons and coloring books are still a favorite among the kids I know. My one-year-old son has just started to put crayon to paper. My only problem is that he sometimes puts crayon to wall and floor, too. Oh well.

November 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm
(10) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

My granddaughters both love to colour with crayons, pens, colored pencils and finger paint.

November 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm
(11) Grandma Kc says:

I don’t think you are ever to old for crayons and a coloring book — especially if both are new! As for what to do with wait time, that is much easier now that Amara is 8. Her favorite entertainment is having me tell her stories about when I was little or when her Mommy was! Conversation is so much fun!

November 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm
(12) NancyP says:

Crayons and paper are wonderful for waiting at restaurants. While waiting in line (at an amusement park, for example), “I Spy” and other observation games help the time pass quickly. In a waiting room, small storybooks are great; they fit in your purse or bag and can be read again and again.

November 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm
(13) Kerry says:

How sad it would be not to know the smell and feel of crayons and the satisfaction of coloring!

November 7, 2012 at 11:44 pm
(14) imaddy says:

We always bring crayons with us. Kids are so artistic and have great imagination with crayons and pretty much any kind of paper.