1. Parenting

Susan Adcox

Grand Photo of the Week: Reunion

By April 18, 2012

Family reunions are fun for cousins.

A couple of cousins at a family reunion react to the shenanigans of their boy cousins. Cousin bonding is one of the very best reasons to hold family reunions, grandma camp and assorted family get-togethers, but cousins who see each other rarely may have difficulty getting re-acquainted. Water play is a great ice-breaker. Games work, too. Our family reunions feature washers, horseshoes, volleyball and tetherball. When it's time to come indoors, there's sure to be a lively game of Bananagrams.

What's your favorite activity for large family gatherings? Leave a comment below.

Follow me on Twitter | Visit me on Facebook

Photo S. Adcox

More Featured Photos on About.com

Comments
April 18, 2012 at 11:13 am
(1) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

We are big on getting cousins together, My four day old grandson has already met with cousins on his father’s side and today will be meeting with cousins on his mother’s side.

April 18, 2012 at 11:50 am
(2) Judy says:

Never knew any cousins that were close to my age. I missed out. :-(

April 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm
(3) Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook says:

Can’t really think of anything specific, but we enjoy getting together with the cousins, the kids are all older now so it’s different than when they were small, but you’re right though a little awkward at first but then everything falls into place.

April 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm
(4) Nancy says:

We always held family reunions at the beach, where we could barbecue, go for walks and swim. I miss those days!

April 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm
(5) Grandma Kc says:

I had a dozen cousins and I loved the family get togethers and I am still very close with my cousins even though we are 2500 miles a part now and don’t see each other often.

Amara was the first grandchild and she now has 2 younger cousins from Daddy side of the family and she loves mothering them! Cousins are the best!

April 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm
(6) Kerry says:

Cousin bonding is an amazement to me. I grew up without any cousins nearby but my kids have a ton in a huge spectrum of ages. They all get along and have a great time at family parties. I love watching the older ones care for the younger.

April 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm
(7) NS Gill says:

We’re preparing to have almost a dozen people (including us) for next Christmas. An enormous number for me. My concern will strictly be with food. I will hope others take care of entertaining each other. I have no experience preparing entertainment.

April 19, 2012 at 9:37 am
(8) Donna PIlato says:

I grew up seeing my cousins regularly and they were among my best friends. My kids don’t see their cousins nearly as often as I did, but when they get together they always have so much fun. It’s worth the effort to make time for family reunions.