1. Parenting

Susan Adcox

Law Helps Grandparents Become Foster Parents

By May 21, 2010

A law with the cumbersome name of Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008 may soon be changing the lives of children who have been removed from their homes. It requires that states have a plan for foster care with provisions critical to many grandparents:

• Within 30 days after removal of a child from parental custody, the state shall attempt to identify and notify all the child's adult relatives of the removal.
  • The child's relatives must receive information about how to participate in the child's care and placement.
  • The relatives must be informed about how to become a foster family home and what services are available for children placed in such a home.
  • The relatives must be advised about the availability of kinship guardianship assistance payments.

According to my reading of the full text of the plan, states have been given time to put these provisions in place, so the law may not have had much impact yet.

This program could help children, grandparents and taxpayers. Children placed with grandparents are more likely to:

• Stay in the placement
  • Maintain connections with siblings and extended family
  • Have their situation legalized through adoption or legal guardianship

One troubling aspect of grandparent care is that the children are possibly more likely to see their parents. If the parents have been abusive or neglectful, such contact could be disastrous.

If you have information or an opinion about the new law or grandparents as foster parents, leave a comment below.

More about kinship care:

Comments
December 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm
(1) Tom K says:

I recieved this e-mail, and wonder of it’s validity…

“I was speaking to an emergency room physician this morning. He told me that a woman in her 20s came to the ER with her 8th pregnancy. She stated, “my momma told me that I am the breadwinner for the family.” He asked her to explain. She said that she can make babies and babies get money for the family. The scam goes like this: The grandma calls the Department of Child and Family Services and states that the unemployed daughter is not capable of caring for these children. DCFS agrees and states that the child or children will need to go to foster care.

The grandma then volunteers to be the foster parent, and thus receives a check for $1500 per child per month in Illinois. Total yearly income: $144,000 tax-free, not to mention free healthcare (Medicaid) plus a monthly card entitling her to free groceries, etc, and a voucher for 250 free cell phone minutes per month. This does not even include WIC and other welfare programs. Indeed, grandma was correct in that her fertile daughter is the “breadwinner” for the family.

This is how the ruling class spends our tax dollars.

Sebastian J. Ciancio, M.D. Urologist, Danville Polyclinic, LTD ”
end of e-mail
Tom

=

December 11, 2010 at 10:03 am
(2) grandparents says:

Hi, Tom K.
I’m glad that you are skeptical of emails that you receive. The website FactCheck.org has identified several problems with this email, the main one being that there is no family in the state of Illinois that fits this profile. A spokesman for the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said, “We don’t have a family like that. We don’t have anything that looks remotely like what he described.” In addition, the maximum that a foster family would receive for fostering eight children in Illinois is $45, 216. The other benefits mentioned in the email are associated with other agencies, not with foster care. Whether the family would qualify would depend on their income–highly unlikely if they really had an income of $144,000!

This email is a copy of one sent to Rush Limbaugh by a real doctor, relaying a story supposedly told to him by another doctor, whom he refuses to identify. No fact checking took place. It is wrong for people to use misinformation to influence people against programs such as grandparent foster care, which is, for the vast majority of children, much better than any alternative.

Snopes.com and FactCheck.org are excellent sources to turn to when one receives an email of doubtful veracity.

December 18, 2010 at 1:37 pm
(3) Craig Wehrung says:

Is the email a fabrication, or is it possibly true?

The response reads like there may be a self-fulfilling benefit to dispute its validity.

I had a conversation with a Judge friend of mine recently who described a (yours, mine, and ours) situation where the divorcing wife stands to receive many thousands of tax dollars. So it is entirely possible that the Illinois story has some truth to it.

December 18, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(4) grandparents says:

For an email to be “possibly” true is not a valid reason for disseminating it. In spite of receiving a national airing, not one shred of evidence in support of the story has been uncovered. And a conversation with a friend about a wife who may get rich from a divorce is hardly proof of anything.

As for your statement, “The response reads like there may be a self-fulfilling benefit. . . “–I have no idea what you are insinuating, but I can assure you that I have never received one penny for fostering or caring for my grandchildren. In fact, all of my grandchildren are cared for by their very capable parents. That does not mean that I am not concerned about other children who may need foster care. Why is it okay to pay strangers to take care of children and deny the same benefit to grandparents?

June 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm
(5) Check Snopes says:

The story about the woman who is the breadwinner is not a verifed story, can’t be true in any event and the photo attached to it had nothing to do with the original story:

June 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(6) saundra anderson says:

Greetings, Susan Adcox.

On April 28, 2013; my granddaughter was taken into custody by CWS, upon a physical abuse report. Immediately, I contacted CWS and began the Kinship Application process.

On, May 6, 2013, I cleared all background check, and, welfare licensing home evaluation.

My daughter has alienated herself from her daughter and attending court. The case is currently in reunification process.

CWS has not returned my calls, and the next hearing is in December of 2013.

I haven’t seen my grandaughter for 2 months. I was on the verge of obtaining guardianship, because the mother is mentally unstable.

I am feeling so discouraged with all of this going on.

Can grandparents visit grandchildren in foster care placement?

I cannot seem to make contact with the caseworker or her supervisor regarding my application process. It feels like I’m being purposely ignored.

I fear time is running out for any chance of seeing and having my granddaughter.

I have put off my doctorates program until I know for sure what is going to be the outcome.

I love my granddaughter and can provide all her emotional, physical, financial, and psychological needs.

what should I do?